Preparing for your Session
Despite the fact that Helsel Music studios charges a very reasonable rate for
their superior quality recordings, the following are some tips that will help
you save time in the studio, and therefore, save you money.
- Be prepared. If you are on a budget, don't attempt to write songs in
the studio, but have your music well prepared and extremely well
rehearsed. There are a lot of wonderful recording tricks that we can
do to fix any mistakes you might make in the studio, but it's always
easier and quicker if you are well rehearsed and know how you want
your music to sound.
- Be relaxed. Knowing that we can fix mistakes and transform your
music into anything you can imagine, don't panic if you do make a
mistake. This studio is designed to make you feel relaxed and
comfortable, but understand that the studio is not a place to feel
nervous. Just relax, and enjoy your music.
- Bring any materials that you might need, and let the engineer know
what you plan to bring as far as amps, guitars, keyboards. That will
help us to set the studio up .
- If you are bringing your band into the studio, let the drummer know
that he/she should be at least an hour early to set up and sound
- Your band will need to decide if you want to all record in the same
room or if you can handle being separated. The advantage of being
isolated is that we can easily fix any mistake made on any instrument
because there is no bleed through on microphones. You will of
course all hear each other in headphones if isolated, but some
musicians are not comfortable with that and want to play together in
the same room. Depending on the style of your music, one method
or another might be more appropriate.
- Call ahead to visit the studio and meet with the engineer to help plan
out your session.
- Have any materials you might need such as photos, biographies, etc.
If you are having Helsel Music do your duplication. If you are using
another duplication service, you should be in communication with
them around the time that you start your sessions.
- Know that anything is possible. You can sing backup for yourself.
You can fix wrong notes. Bryan can play keyboards/piano/trumpet for
you. You can multitrack and play all the instruments yourself. Keep
an open mind, and allow Helsel Music studios to bring your music to